Sunday 16 June 2013

But for the Grace of God, There Go I

Recently I was talking with two work colleagues when one of them shared a sense of helplessness and frustration regarding her shortcomings and failures. My colleagues were surprised and encouraged when I freely declared that I am the most miserable failure as a person. In the past, I was a hopeless slave to many vices and, but for the grace of God, that's the person I am. It's the genetic disposition that I inherited from my parents, and they from their parents, and so on...
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing... Rom 7:18
Many outsiders to the faith form the opinion that Christians are good people by nature; that we were born with some altruistic tendency. The reality, however, could not be further from the truth.
Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Ps 51:5

As it is written, There is none righteous, no not one. Rom 3:10
The Christian who flows with Divine love and selfless service towards others is simply one who has, through faith, exchanged their sinful Adamic nature for the perfect life and nature of Christ Jesus. To the measure we live with our heads resting on Christ's bosom and drinking of His love; to that measure we become someone totally contrary to our natural disposition. 


The wholesome, pure, and lovely fragrance that people are drawn to in us ... is not us. It's the Spirit of Christ in us! We can take no credit for the Divine love shed abroad in our hearts. We are who we are, by the grace of God.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph 2:8-9
To look at ourselves and meditate on our own failings and weaknesses is demoralising. The older we get, the more we despair! Despite our best efforts, we just can't change who we are. As the saying goes, 'A leopard can't change its spots.' Or, 'Like father, like son,' as another saying goes. The good news is that coming to this realisation is actually the starting place for receiving the life-changing grace of God!
And Jesus answered them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." Luke 5:31-32
There is an incredible rest in freely accepting who we are, apart from the grace of God. Regardless of how stable and well-rounded we may seem to become as we journey with Christ, but for His grace, we are miserable wretches. We must never forget this. Self-righteousness is pride. And pride cuts us off from the very grace we need.
But he gives more grace. Therefore he says, God resisteth the proud, but gives grace unto the humble. Jam 4:6
Paul was happy to refer to himself as the "chief" of sinners (1 Tim 1:15). He had no doubts about his shortcomings, apart from the grace of God. 


I think I know where Paul was coming from when he wrote this. You don't want to know Dylan Oakley, according to the flesh. I don't want to know him. If Jesus, our beautiful Saviour and Lord, can make something out of my life and flow His love through me, He can do the same for you.
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment