Saturday 20 July 2013

If Any Man Thirst, Let Him Come Unto Me and Drink

Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Isa 55:1-2a
Last year I found myself in the local supermarket without any money. I'd forgotten my wallet. Nevertheless, I still came home with my groceries and a radiance that comes from leading a lost soul to Christ!

I was in the cold foods section when I suddenly realised I didn't have my wallet. I stood there smiling and shaking my head, looking at the few things I'd already collected to purchase. Looking around I noticed, for the second time, a man I'd seen when I first came into the store. For some reason my attention was being drawn to this fellow and I wasn't sure why. As I walked past him, I smiled and he smiled back.

I made my way to the checkout area and asked the attendant if she would mind my handful of groceries while I went home to get some money. I left the store and sat in my car, checking the ashtray and other places just in case I found some money. Finding nothing, I was preparing to head home when I noticed again the man I'd seen in the supermarket. He was just outside the entrance, trying to fit his groceries into a backpack.

"Hey, my friend," I called out, "Are you on foot?"

"Yeah," he replied with a smile.

"Hey, where do you need to go?" I asked, "Let me give you a lift."

"No, it's okay," he replied. "It's a bit of a drive. I'll be fine."

"It's all good," I said. "Jump in."

The man, who seemed in his mid-forties or so, hesitated for a moment then said, "Okay," and walked over to the car. As we loaded his groceries into the back of my van, we introduced ourselves. 

"I'm S_____," he said, giving me an easy-to-pronounce version of his name. "Do you mind if we go via the bottle shop on our way?" he asked.

"Sure," I replied.

S_____ walked into the drive-thru section of the local pub while I waited in the car. He was keen to buy me something but I declined.

As I sat there, I prayed for S_____. "Help me, Jesus," I prayed, "open a door for me. Help me to reach this man."

Back on the road, we started talking. "You know I used to drink heaps of grog until I discovered Living Water," I ventured. "Jesus said, 'If you're thirsty come to Me and drink!' That's what I drink now, S_____, and out of my belly flows rivers of Living Water!"

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. John 7:37-38
"Have you heard of Living Water, S_____?" I continued. "Do you know Jesus?"

That was enough for S_____ to start opening up. As we drove, I heard the story of a man who had grown up going to church and being around the things of God. He then shared the story of a tragic life and how he had only recently been wondering whether God was giving him a second chance.

I smiled. "God loves you, S_____. This is no accident what's happening right now. God is absolutely giving you a second chance. He highlighted you to me in the shops today."

We pulled into his driveway, probably around twenty minutes or so after we'd left the supermarket. I turned the car off and looked at S_____. "Do you mind if I pray for you?" I asked.

I laid my hands on this hurting man and interceded for him. After a little while, I stopped and asked, "Would you like to make certain of your salvation today, S____? Would you like to ask Jesus into your life today?"

S_____ nodded with tears in his eyes. So sitting together in the old Tarago, I went through the Gospel message afresh with S_____. He gulped it down like a thirsty man who had just received water in the desert. He received Jesus Christ as His Lord and Saviour right then and there. We did some more praying, exchanged contact details, and I armed him with some resources I had in the car. 

Suddenly S_____ pulled out his wallet and started fishing out some money to give me. 

"No way," I said, "I don't want your money."

"No, please," he insisted, "Take this. I want you to have it."

Again I refused. S_____ opened my glove box and threw the money in and closed the lid saying, "Give it to your kids then."

"Okay brother," I said, "Thank you. The Lord bless you." 

It wasn't until I was driving away that I remembered the situation with my wallet. From memory, I'm sure S_____ and I hadn't even talked about it! I opened the glove box and had a look. There was $30 in there. So instead of continuing home for my wallet, I stopped off at the supermarket and purchased my groceries. "Didn't even go home to get my wallet," I said to the young checkout lady, with a cryptic smile on my face.

Fiona and I talked later about how provision can really come in all manner of unexpected ways when we're seeking first Dad's kingdom. As God's covenant children, we shouldn't ever think that we're dependent on the world system for our needs. 
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you. Matt 6:31-33
We were blessed to enjoy some memorable times with S_____ after that. Jesus will never leave S_____ or forsake him (Matt 28:20; Heb 13:5). His mercy endures forever; great is His faithfulness (Ps 100:5). He will complete the good work He has begun in that precious brother.
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Phil 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment