Sunday 11 August 2013

I Have Been Found By Those Who Did Not Seek Me

Some years ago, I was volunteering in a library when the opportunity arose to direct a lost traveller ... to Jesus! 
... I have been found by those who did not seek me; I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me. Rom 10:20
I had begun volunteering one day a week at a little church library. It was just a short walk from home. Located in a wooden shack on the grounds of a traditional/denominational church, its shelves were stuffed full of a surprising variety and wealth of resources! Crammed into every available space, there were books, tape sets and videos  all available to borrow free-of-charge. I remember, among other things, working through videos and books from the Brownsville revival. Although I wasn't a member of that church, I used the library enough to get to know the elderly ladies looking after it and they happily agreed for me to volunteer there one day a week.


It was great working at the library. There was a kettle so I'd make cuppas and sit there reading books and watching videos to my heart's content, interrupted only when fellow pilgrims dropped in to borrow resources. Sometimes we'd pray together, other times we'd talk about revival or the things of God. Sometimes mums came in to borrow videos for their children. I loved the cross-denominational interaction I experienced while volunteering in that little library. (One such encounter led to an outreach ministry into the local caravan park but that's another story...)
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17
One particular day, my reading was interrupted by a young lady who ventured into the library with a small child. She wasn't there to borrow anything  she was lost and so she'd driven into the church grounds. Seeing the door to the library open, she came in to ask for help.

"I was wondering if you could give me directions?" she asked politely.

I smiled. "Directions to God?"

She was a little taken aback. "I'm sorry," she said. "What did you say?"

"Do you need directions to God?" I repeated. "I can give you directions to God."
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life..." John 14:6
That was all it took. The next thing I knew, I was sharing the good news about Jesus with this precious woman, who introduced herself as K_____. As I shared the love of God and the way of salvation, K_____ opened up and shared the difficult situation she was in. She began crying and I knew she was being drawn to Jesus.

I decided to close up the library a little early and I invited K_____ and her child back to my house just down the road. I called Fiona and told her to expect us shortly.

At home, Fiona loved on K_____ and together we led her to Jesus and into His glorious kingdom. By God's grace, we were able to walk with K_____ through some difficult times and help her find freedom from a damaging relationship. K_____ would eventually move towns and we were blessed to later visit her and find she'd planted herself in a church in walking distance to her home.

Lives are saved and transformed when we give the Holy Spirit something to work with. It doesn't take much  just a little step of faith on our part. As we're faithful with the little opportunities that arise, He entrusts us with greater things. And we find the burning presence of Jesus in our life intensifies! 


Each time we step out and take risks, we stoke the fire!
John was a burning and shining lamp... John 5:35
Some time later, the church closed the library. When I last dropped in there, they were using the old shack to store furniture! I made a few enquiries and found out that the resources had been sold or given away. It was sad news. There was something special about that little library and the way it served as a feeding station for God's children. 
Seek ye the LORD while He may be found... Isa 55:6
I'm blessed to hear that readers are being encouraged by these testimonies. More to come, glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment