Tuesday 22 October 2013

The 'True Vine' Move

As a young boy, I was blessed to be part of a powerful move of God in northern New South Wales. Shortly after my mum was born again, we were led to True Vine Christian Community based in and around Mullumbimby.


It was around 1982 when we arrived and I was about seven years-old. We were there for two years or so. Mum and I lived with other women and children in a couple of women’s discipleship houses before mum married the man who would become my dad and adoptive father.

I am blessed to have experienced the True Vine move of God and to have encountered Jesus there. Even as a young boy I was marked by the authenticity of the community and the manifest power of God in our midst. The teaching and discipleship was rich; the praise and worship sincere and deep. I still sing the songs I learnt during that time and have taught them to my wife and children. I'll never forget the corporate worship  it was worship in spirit by a people hungry for righteousness and truth. Sometimes there was no musical accompaniment at all – only the harmonious roar of human voices in declarative praise. As hundreds of Heavenly gates lifted their heads and voices, the King of glory would come in and lavish us with His joy and peace and grace.
Lift up your heads, O ye gates, even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. Ps 24:9
True Vine was a company of saints that included many redeemed from oppressive and destructive lifestyles. Men and women, who’d been in bondage to drugs and the occult and sexual immorality, discovered the living Christ at True Vine. Forgiven much, they loved much. And they tapped into His transforming power.
"I tell you, her sins  and they are many  have been forgiven so she has shown Me much love..." Lk 7:47
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God... Rom 1:16
A documentary about True Vine appeared on television so, praise God, we have some video history of the move. I encourage you to watch this short video. (Update 11/03/14: I have merged the two videos that were on this page into one 15 minute video. Click the link below). You will be moved by the testimonies and worship and baptisms and the centrality of Jesus. 
True Vine Christian Community (documentary) 


I'll finish this post with reflections from two other pilgrims.
The only safe place and the source of TVCC's [True Vine Christian Community's] blessing was not its discipleship ‘system’ but the wonder and power of the open heaven that the Spirit allowed us to enter into whenever a group of worshippers sought the Lord, this was truly an extraordinary thing and pure grace, blessing, for us. I can say I have heard the angels sing. As a charismatic group TVCC did not preach the gifts. No ceremony for receiving tongues, healing, prophecy etc. was in our litany. This all just happened during worship. Thankfully, the opening of the heavens- the experience of the Glory- remains my greatest memory, my lodestar, and at the core of my spiritual life. - James
The focus in meetings on worshipping the LORD stood out as it wasn't dependent on 'worship leaders' and schmoozing the crowd, so unlike most churches today. Though there were excellent musos there I remember many times there was no musical accompaniment, only the human voice in song. Beautiful. Days of heaven on earth. Although it could not be replicated, as every situation is unique, there were valuable principles that were universal. God looks for those who will worship him in spirit and in truth. - Paul
True Vine Christian Community does not exist today. The fruit, however, remains...
...I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain... Jn 15:16
...So shall My word be that goeth forth out of My mouth: it shall not return unto Me void... Isa 55:11

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I was at True Vine in 1984. Did you stay in touch with anyone from True Vine? Brings back so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Shoni, great to hear from you. There is a True Vine FB page. If you send me an email, I'll give you more info. Richest blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for putting up the footage as the original footage does not seem to be out there any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I was a member of Truevine Feb 1980 till it passed on, the pain of it's final days. Great God, great bunch of people, great discipleship with all it's faults, not fake. Truevine fed God's sheep.Thank God YHWH "Father Son and Holy Spirit" for the great things He has done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was a member of Truevine, Feb 1980- till it passed on, the pain of it's dying days. Great God, Great people, Great discipleship with all it's faults, not fake. Thank God, YHWH " Father Son and Holy Spirit" for the great things He has done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truevine was genuine move of God, It was a Northern NSW version of the Jesus Revolution that swept around the world in the 70s and early 80s. The Jesus Movement was one of the greatest revivals in church history. Truevine was truly Spirit Founded and led. Sadly it fell because of a doctrine of man that tended to overorganize the peoples lives, This same doctrine brought down churches worldwide. Most revivals seem to come to ahalt after 5 to 7 years because of well meaning errors of leadership.
    It was amazing while it lasted though and powerful in Love and Divine Worship. Man has a history of getting in the road of the Holy Spirit.
    In fact God used Truevine to inspire many other churches to be true worshippers and embrace the Power of the Holy Spirit and Jesus and the Bible as Living Grace! Many of these churches and ministers are well known churches and leaders until this very day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way Dylan, if you created this site. Thankyou. It is done beautifully and will touch many lives with Jesus Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met some true viners in 1981-82 at wer was whilst cotton chipping. Wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete